Silver Diamine Fluoride: Say Goodbye to the Dentist’s Drill
Silver Diamine Fluoride promotes remineralization and stops dental caries.
Our paradigm for managing carious lesions must change. Scientific evidence has shown that Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) is effective in managing carious lesions in primary teeth. However, the use of SDF in Spain remains limited.
We are definitely proud to be one of the few clinics using silver diamine fluoride in Madrid.
It is time for us to step out of traditional dentistry so our patient’s can benefit from this and make a change for the better with minimally invasive dentistry, the use of caries arresting agents and bioactive restorative materials.
What You should Know about Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF)
- Silver diamine fluoride is an antimicrobial liquid that can treat cavities in a non-invasive, fast, affordable and painless way.
- In addition, Silver Diamine Fluoride can instantly stop the process of decay when is applied directly to cavities.
- It is also a non-invasive treatment indicated for the preservation of non-demineralized dental tissue that is susceptible to remineralization.
- Additionally, this method allows to alleviate the pain, discomfort and anxiety that the patient usually presents with conventional dental techniques.
- Above all, SDF helps preserve pulp vitality and therefore reduces the risk of endodontic therapy (root canal).
Am I a good candidate for silver diamine fluoride (SDF)?
- Silver diamine fluoride is a therapeutic agent for the treatment of caries lesions in children and in people with special care needs.
- Caries is a common condition in Spain, and silver diamine fluoride offers a simple alternative management technique when case selection is appropriate.
Is there scientific evidence of its effectiveness?
- Based on multiple systematic reviews and meta-analyzes, it has been consistently demonstrated that Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) arrests carious lesions in primary teeth.
What are the cons associated with the use of silver diamine fluoride (SDF)?
- The most important thing to consider when using silver diamine fluoride is the fact that it permanently stains cavities black. This is a sign that it has effectively treated the cavity.
- Treatment with (SDF) alone will arrest caries but will not restore the cavitation.
- However, in order to restore the tooth back to form and function we use the Silver Modified Atraumatic Technique (SMART), in which SDF is applied and immediately restored or sealed with a conventional filling material (glass ionomer).
- Finally, by placing SMART restorations we are able to kill the bacteria and cut off the nutrient source for any remaining bacteria by placing a chemically sealed restoration that will arrest and remineralize the caries lesion, preserving tooth structure and enhancing pulp vitality.
- Rosenblatt A, Stamford TC, Niederman R. Silver diamine fluoride: a caries “silver-fluoride bullet”. 2009. In: Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE): Quality-assessed Reviews [Internet]. York (UK): Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (UK); 1995-.
- Chibinski A, C, Wambier L, M, Feltrin J, Loguercio A, D, Wambier D, S, Reis A: Silver Diamine Fluoride Has Efficacy in Controlling Caries Progression in Primary Teeth: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Caries Res 2017;51:527-541. doi: 10.1159/000478668
- Oliveira B, H, Rajendra A, Veitz-Keenan A, Niederman R: The Effect of Silver Diamine Fluoride in Preventing Caries in the Primary Dentition: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Caries Res 2019;53:24-32. doi: 10.1159/000488686